Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Story starters

She's painting with watercolors, and humming a song. Strawberry Shortcake's seeds are brown, surrounded by characteristic red. He's home sick, still pale after weeks and weeks of "why won't you get better?" Sick and tired of school, and the push to perform even when natural instinct says "relax and enjoy".

It's been a homeschool day anyway, nearly filled a book with "What if dogs wore shoes" and "if cats could read" or "people lived under water". I asked and then I quoted in my own handwriting, my work and labor, to show him I valued his thinking and "look, this is fun!" He finally wrote his own, with 1st grade-encouraged spelling.

What if an owl liked to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? "Then evry time he makes one I'll steal it." Spends all his stories committing crimes. Stealing jewels from the slow hippo who was king of the world, ice cream from the ice cream shop owning turtle (again, too slow).

But don't ask a homeschooled sick kid with school-earned skills in writing and reading, "What if it never stopped raining?" Because then he'll "hope school is cancelled, yay!", despite your reminder that he's such a good reader, writer, and thinker because he learns there.

No comments: